August 30th, 2006
Here's a lyrics meme thing with a twist: None of the lyrics are from the most well-known version of the song. The song could be a cover or a parody or even a live performance by the same artist, but there are minor lyric differences. Name the title and artist, why it's different, and for bonus points, name the more-popular song artist and title, if different.
- And if I haver, whatever that means, I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you.
The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" as covered by Less Than Jake (catnamedbuffy)
- And in the lonely cool before dawn, from your room, you hear their engines roar on.
- Come sail your ships around me, burn your bridges down. We'll make a little history, baby every time you come around.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' "Ship song" as covered by Leatherface (chinook_wind)
- Come to my rescue--oh come to me please.
- Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night.
- Don't send me home again; I just can't face myself alone again.
- I think of the things we've done together, while our hearts were young, young, young-young-young-young
- I wear this crown of thorns upon my liar's chair.
Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" as covered by Johnny Cash (chinook_wind)
- Like a vision she dances across the porch while the radio plays.
- Meditate in my direction. Feel your way (that's pretty gay).
- The minute you let us under your skin then you'll begin to be a fretter.
- The screen door slams. Angelina's dress sways.
- They haunt this dusty beach road and the skeleton remains of burned-out Chevrolets.
- Two large Cokes, Two large fries, Chili-cheese dog, large Doctor Pepper, Super deluxe, with cheese and tomato. Will that be all? No, All!
Something of a mashup of The Descendants' "Weinerschnitzel" and "No All" off their live album Liveage (nuwanda)
- You make my heart scream. You took everything
The Troggs' "Wild Thing" as covered by Sam Kinison (chinook_wind)
3. Cover: Concrete Blonde and mumbletymumble their friend. Song: The Ship Song. Original: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Difference: One specific one is "try and
fly" rather than the correct "try to
fly" -- also, the common version of CB's is live, whereas NC&tBS is studio.
8. Cover: Johnny Cash. Song: Hurt. Original: Nine Inch Nails. Difference: Johnny Cash doesn't say "shit" in his, and it's acoustic.
15. Cover: Sam Kinison. Song: Wild Thing. Original: can't come up with the artist, no bonus points for me. Difference: screaming!, and general Kinison goodness.
8 and 15 are correct.
I'm not sure about 3--CB might have covered with the same slight differences (No "and" between "around me" and "burn your", and "We'll make" instead of "We make") that Leatherface did.
Oh oh! The first one is Less Than Jake's version of The Proclaimers' "I Would Walk 500 Miles." With the "whatever that means" being the difference. LOL It's so true. What does haver mean, anyway?
I'd have to think about the rest of 'em. But I really like this version of the meme. You rock, James. :)
14 is originally the Descendents (?). Some loud punk band, anyway. And the original version has "do you want Bill sperm with that" instead of "Will that be all."
And I want to say that it was in "Pump Up The Volume" (the Christian Slater movie from the 80's), but since I havent seen it in like 20 years, I can't quite remember.
Yeah, it was in Pump Up the Volume